Good news if you live by the Madagascar calendar. New Year’s Day is set for February 10, as 4 Hands Brewing Company announced that its 2024 Madagascar release will be available for public sale beginning at 10 a.m. The entire collection will be available exclusively through an online pre-sale.
What is Madagascar?
For the uninitiated, Madagascar is the brewery’s most highly coveted barrel-aged release. Madagascar, known for its inky black hue and sticky texture, is an imperial milk stout aged in freshly emptied bourbon barrels with whole Madagascar vanilla beans.
Kevin Lemp, Founder of 4 Hands Brewing Co., shared the origins of Madagascar, stating, “Brewed annually since 2014, the original Madagascar release was a small batch, single barrel collaboration with Schnucks Markets Des Peres to celebrate their 75th anniversary.”
Lemp emphasized the enduring tradition, “The process that we used in 2014 for that release is still used today. We source the very best vanilla in the world and hand cut every bean to maximize the intense flavor imparted by the Madagascar vanilla.”
Madagascar Release Party
For the first time in several years, 4 Hands Brewing Company will host a Madagascar release party at its original location at 1220 S. 8th Street in LaSalle Park on Saturday, February 17, starting at 10 AM. Attendees can pick up their orders, relish draft pours of Madagascar and its variants, and enjoy live music.
In addition to the classic Madagascar release, 4 Hands will introduce six enticing variants available for purchase, including two from the Double Barrel series: Madagascar Double Barrel Yellowstone Whiskey and Madagascar Double Barrel Rebel Whiskey. Other variants comprise Orange & Chocolate, Raspberry Truffle, Withered Oak Caribbean Port & Rum, and Withered Oak Amburana.
Madagascar Series Highlights
- Madagascar – Imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels with whole Madagascar vanilla beans – 9.3% ABV – 16oz can
- Madagascar Orange & Chocolate – Imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels with Madagascar vanilla beans, sweet orange, and cacao nibs – 9.3% ABV – 16oz can
- Madagascar Raspberry Truffle – Imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels with Madagascar vanilla beans and loads of raspberries – 9.3% ABV – 16oz can
- Madagascar Withered Oak Caribbean Rum + Port – Imperial milk stout with Madagascar vanilla beans aged in ruby port and 15-year Caribbean rum barrels used to age Withered Oak – 9.3% ABV – 16oz can
- Madagascar Withered Oak Amburana – Imperial milk stout aged in Withered Oak Amburana barrels with Madagascar vanilla beans – 9.3% ABV – 16oz can
- Madagascar Double Barrel Yellowstone Whiskey – Imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels with Madagascar vanilla beans followed by secondary aging in a Yellowstone Whiskey barrel – 9.5% ABV – 22oz bottle