Oktoberfests, and I mean all of them, are over, but there is still plenty of fall fun left, and that means you still have time to catch up on the new fall beers you’ve been meaning to guzzle. What is a fall beer? Well, that answer can be different for anyone, but for me, fall beers range from light and crisp like the season, to maltier, sweeter and a bit hoppy.
Subjectively, certain styles of beer land in my brain when I think of the season. Pilsners, Marzens, Saisons, Bocks, Schwarzbier, ESB, Red and Brown Ales, and eventually into the winter side with porters and stouts.
Here’s a “quick” list of beers I plan on enjoying this fall, when available, and that I suggest you sample in the next few weeks. I’ve listed two beers per brewery. The first beer is one that you might already know if you’re a frequent consumer of the brewery, while the second may a bit off the beaten path.
2nd Shift Brewing
- Cat Spit Stout | 7% ABV | 30 IBU
- Bruce’s Best Brown 4.2% ABV | 0 IBU
One of their newest beers. Bruce Brown is owner Libby Crider’s dad. This is her beer dedicated to him, the best Brown.
4 Hands Brewing
- Chocolate Milk Stout | 5.5% ABV
- Blueberry Lavender Expression | 6.5% ABV
A Belgian White Ale brewed with lactose, blueberry, lavender and Madagascar vanilla. The addition of nitrogen produces a creamy, full-bodied beer with notes of blueberry, lavender and vanilla. Available: September – December
4204 Main Street Brewing
- Pecan Brown Ale | 5.5% ABV | 22 IBU
- Chocolate Coconut Stout | 6.8% ABV | 30 IBU
Big coconut presence and a deep Belgian chocolate character lie over top a gratifying American Stout.
Alpha Brewing Company
- Believers Brew | 7% ABV | 20 IBU
- Fawkes Foeder | 8% ABV
This bright and tart saison was aged for 22 months in a Missouri oak Foeder fermented with Brett and brewed with lemongrass and black pepper.
- Proprietor’s Anniversary Stout | 9% ABV | 50 IBU
- Better Not Pout Stout | 12.4% ABV
A rich spice-filled winter warmer beaming with warm alcohol notes and smooth vanilla, cinnamon, and cloves.
Center Ice Brewing
- Checkerdome Pils | 4.3% ABV | 38 IBU
- Old Arena Lager | 5.1% ABV | 17 IBU
This beer was brewed with St. Louis hockey fans in mind. It’s light, sessionable, and incredibly clean with a robust flavor complementary of our specialty malt bill.
Stubborn German Brewing
- Schnitzengiggles | 5.5% ABV | 24 IBU
- Boilermaker Brown Lager | 4.8% ABV | 26 IBU
Made with lots of chocolate and toasty malts and Willamette hops. They used their favorite lager yeast to ferment at cooler temps.
Good News Brewing
- Dirty Laundry Brown Ale | 5% ABV | 36 IBU
- Dry Stout |4.9% ABV | 30 IBU
Light-bodied stout that finishes dry and roasty.
- Okatz | 5.4% ABV | 22 IBU
- Bushelhead Cider | 7.2% ABV
Cider brewed with Washington apples and is easy-drinking thanks to an excellent balance between sweetness and acidity.
- Late Night Karate Kick | 6.3% ABV
- German Chocolate Cake | 6.5% ABV
German Chocolate Cake Stout is a fairly big beer. Jet black with a rich chocolate head on the pour, Should be chocolate and coconut with a slight roasty flavor on the nose and you’ll get the same rich chocolate and coconut, but neither will overwhelm. Nicely balanced.
- Pedagogical: Session Porter | 4.9% ABV | 31 IBU
- Fourteen Square: Barrel-Aged Brown Ale | 14% ABV |64 IBU
This is an imperial version of Four Square, a brown ale. This beer was aged in second use Buffalo Trace barrels and comes through with a smooth oaky flavor with little heat from the alcohol.
Old Bakery Beer Company
- Oktoberfest | 5.7% ABV | 27 IBU
- Carrot Cake Brown | 6.0% ABV | 25 IBU
Carrot Cake Brown Ale is very different from most of Old Bakery’s other beers. Brewed with carrots and a blend of spices, it also contains lactose. Lactose is not fermentable by brewers yeast, so it leaves a sweetness behind in the beer after the yeast is done.
Perennial Artisanal Ales
- Abraxas | 10% ABV | 80 IBU
- Prodigal | 11.5 ABV |
Prodigal (10.6 ABV) is an imperial oatmeal milk stout with a massive fudge and roast malt character. It’s a foundation for some of Perennial’s best stouts, now here to stand on its own adorned with only a handful of cacao nibs and Madagascar vanilla beans to round out the edges.
Six Mile Bridge Beer
- Cinnamon Maple Stout | 8.0% ABV
- French Saison | 5.4% ABV | 34 IBU
Brewed with the purest strain of French yeast, this beer has a strong floral nose & clean,
tart citrus notes. It finishes dry & crisp making it a complex, yet satisfying choice.
Hopskeller Brewing Company
- Maple Pecan Märzen | 5.5% ABV | 19 IBU
- There it’s Chili Beer | 6.8% ABV | 12 IBU
An American ale, features cherry-wood smoked barley, white wheat malt, copious amounts of mango, and an intriguing blend of Guajillo and Jalapeno peppers. Sweet, smoky, and fruity — with just a bit of heat to the finish to remind you that this is a chili beer. Perfect for the late summer and early autumn.
Narrow Gauge Brewing Company
- Zavtrak | 10% ABV | 90 IBU
- Old Town Porter Hot Java | 5.7% ABV | 45 IBU
Old Town Porter aged on Blueprint Coffee.
Main and Mill Brewing Company
- Oktoberfestus | 4.7% ABV | 17 IBU
- Banana Bread Stout | 6% ABV / 13 IBU
Roasted walnuts compliment banana notes from English ale yeast in this rich stout reminiscent of home baked banana bread fresh from the oven.
Friendship Brewing Company
- Wentzville Brown | 6.5% ABV | 24 IBU
- Pearce Porter | 8% ABV | 30 IBU
A robust porter with a healthy dose of cocoa added to the boil, making a deliciously roasty brew!
- Mahlab ESB | 5.8 ABV | 37 IBU
- Immaculate Confection | 8.7% ABV
Pastry stout made with mahlab, jaggery and lactose.
- Moonbase | 4.8% ABV
- Jumbo Imperial Stout | 14.9% ABV
If huge stouts are your thing, please allow introduce yourself to Jumbo.
Public House Brewing Company
- Farmstand Peach Ale | 5.3% ABV | 16 IBU
- Giddy Goat Coffee Milk Stout | 5.5% ABV | 25 IBU
This coffee-infused milk stout is high-octane and full-bodied. Slightly roasty, this ale has a touch of sweetness to provide a counterpoint to the roasted character and hop bitterness. Brewed with Giddy Goat Coffee House beans.
Twisted Roots Brewing
- Jagged Little Pils | 4.5% ABV | 36 IBU
- Augtoberfest| 4.2% ABV | 20 IBU
Since we live in St Louis, we felt like if we must put out and Oktoberfest in August we should make it appropriate for our 90+ deg weather. Light and crisp with just enough classic German Maltiness to make you ready for the season.