So, 2020 is a bust, but there is still plenty of fall fun left, and that means you still have time to catch up on the new fall beers you’ve been meaning to guzzle. What is a fall beer? Well, that answer can be different for anyone, but for me, fall beers range from light and crisp like the season, to maltier, sweeter and a bit hoppy.
Subjectively, certain styles of beer land in my brain when I think of the season. Pilsners, Marzens, Saisons, Bocks, Schwarzbier, ESB, Red and Brown Ales, and I’ve decided to bring in my favorite porters and stouts a bit earlier as well.
And of course there the pumpkin beers. I, personally, love pumpkin ales and stouts, but for the purposes here, I’m focusing on beers for fall, that do not feature pumpkin flavors.
Here’s a “quick” list of beers I plan on enjoying this fall, when available, and that I suggest you sample in the next few weeks. I’ve listed two beers per brewery, with every attempt to make sure they are currently available.
- Pedagogical: Session Porter | 4.9% ABV | 31 IBU
- Fourteen Square: Barrel-Aged Brown Ale | 14% ABV |64 IBU
As of this writing, Recess Brewing’s beer is only available on premises. Be sure to check their website and social media platforms to find out what is on tap.
- Oktoberfest | 5.7% ABV | 27 IBU
- Carrot Cake Brown | 6.0% ABV | 25 IBU
Carrot Cake Brown Ale is very different from most of Old Bakery’s other beers. Brewed with carrots and a blend of spices, it also contains lactose. Lactose is not fermentable by brewers yeast, so it leaves a sweetness behind in the beer after the yeast is done.
- Abraxas | 10% ABV | 80 IBU
- Lunchtime Treasures | 11.5 ABV |
Creators of my favorite all-time stouts, these two lean a bit wintery for me, but that’s the beauty of beer. Available today! Lunchbox Treasures is a new stout they brewed up with marshmallow in boil, and finished on vanilla, more marshmallow, nutmeg, and Saigon cinnamon.
- Cinnamon Maple Stout | 8.0% ABV
- Coffee Maple Stout | 6.0 % ABV | 20 IBU
I’ve been really impressed with Six Mile’s stout collection. Very tasty, and well-balanced beers, both.
- Northern English Brown Ale | 5.9% ABV | 26 IBU
- Tower Hill Burton Style ESB | 5.1% ABV | 30 IBU
Tower Hull is a dark beer featuring roasted chocolate and coffee flavors alongside deep caramel and toffee notes. Complex, robust, approachable and the ultimate “food beer.”
- Begin Anew Blend #2 | 6.7% ABV | 0 IBU
- Old Town Porter Hot Java | 5.7% ABV | 45 IBU
Old Town Porter is aged on Blueprint Coffee. Begin Anew Blend is a sour blonde ale foeder fermented and wine barrel-aged for 15 months before being emptied onto blackberries. After aging on fruit another 6 months, this blend was bottle conditioned for 7 months.
- Oktoberfestus | 4.7% ABV | 17 IBU
- No.100 Brown Ale | 5% ABV / 0 IBU
English style– so it’s malt focused – with light roast and chocolate but still light.
- Wentzville Brown | 6.5% ABV | 24 IBU
- Pearce Porter | 8% ABV | 30 IBU
A robust porter with a healthy dose of cocoa added to the boil, making a deliciously roasty brew! Both of these are on tap right now.
- Chicken and Waffles Blonde | 6.0% ABV | 0 IBU
- All-Purpose Pilz | 5.5% ABV
The unique flavor profile that allows the different ingredients to coalesce into the flavor of chicken and waffles–it’s not overwhelming or overstated. What you’ll get is a malt-forward blonde ale with plenty of toasty biscuit malt and some rye mixed in for spiciness and body.
- Stand By | 5.2% ABV
- Kazimierz Foder-Aged Baltic Porter | 9.2% ABV
Kazimierz is a Baltic Porter of formidable strength and depth. Let it warm a little in the glass to unlock layers of bakers chocolate, Demerara, caramel, and char.
- Farmstand Peach Ale | 5.3% ABV | 16 IBU
- Giddy Goat Coffee Milk Stout | 5.5% ABV | 25 IBU
This coffee-infused milk stout is high-octane and full-bodied. Slightly roasty, this ale has a touch of sweetness to provide a counterpoint to the roasted character and hop bitterness. Brewed with Giddy Goat Coffee House beans.
- Irish Flu | 6.1% ABV | 35 IBU
- Kingsman | 5.5% ABV | 37 IBU
Since we live in St Louis, we felt like if we must put out and Oktoberfest in August we should make it appropriate for our 90+ deg weather. Light and crisp with just enough classic German Maltiness to make you ready for the season.
Civil Life Brewing Co.
1. American Brown Ale| 6.1% ABV | 35 IBU
2. Angel & the Sword Ale | 5.5% ABV | 37 IBU
Two of their all-time best. American Brown is now a St. Louis cornerstone beer. Both are in cans right now, in the online store.
More From Drink314